Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Cardboard Heroes

Those of you who know me, know how much I love baseball. 
As we head toward the 112th World Series, I thought it would be fun to share a few of my favorite baseball cards with you. 









Don Mossi (Topps 1958)

I got a Don Mossi card in the first pack I ever bought. It scared the hell out of me but started a lifelong obsession. A face that only a mother could love. 
In his Historical Abstract, Bill James wrote “Mossi’s ears looked as if they had been borrowed from a much larger species, and reattached without proper supervision."





Wally Moon (Topps 1965)

Hands down the greatest unibrow in baseball history. Did he ever look in a mirror?





















Gus Zernial (Topps 1952)

One of the most spectacular and confounding cards in my collection. So many questions…
How did he get those balls to stick to his bat and why? Is his undershirt pink because he wants us to know that he is in touch with his feminine side, or did the clubhouse attendant mix the whites in with the colors? It doesn’t matter because he is telling us everything is A OK.
















Nellie Fox (Topps 1961)
You’ll never find a card or photo of this Hall of Famer without a gigantic wad of chewing tobacco in his cheek. Kids: don’t try this at home. Mr. Fox died of cancer at the age of 47.
























“Spook” Jacobs  (Topps 1955)
I wonder how he got his nickname?




















Oscar Gamble  (Topps 1975)
The best afro in baseball history. How did he even get his cap on? Now batting…number 17, Mickey Mouse.